Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Knowing When to Quit

My alarm went off bright and early yesterday morning. With a quick glance out the window, I hit snooze and decided an evening run was much better. I psyched myself up for the 6 mile run on the entire ride home to the point that I ran in the door excited to get out on the streets. It also greatly helped that my car read 46 degrees outside!

With shoes laced up, I bounded outside for a great hour or so run. The run was going great, weather was awesome and it was fun to be out there. Then it hit me .6 miles in...the worst pain in my hip I have ever felt. I trudged along for another .1 miles and the pain got worse. Knowing my massage therapist's view on pain, I knew my run had come to an end. I turned around and hobbled back the next .7 miles home with each step more painful than the next. I walked in my door and stretched it out quickly falling asleep for the evening at 6:30 pm. Yes, that is my life!

I was disappointed that I didn't get my awesome run in, but the reality is that this run is a true test. When a goal is in sight, you need to know when to throw in the towel and accept injury prevention. There are still quiet a few weeks to Boston and I know I don't want to be injured for them! Tonight I will test my hip on the arctrainer and if all good, the roads will see me tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment