Thursday, January 12, 2012

A round of applause

At lunch the other day, a guy at my table kept talking about how awesome boot camp is at the gym and how everyone should take it. First and foremost, I feel fortunate that my work has a gym complete with cybex equipment to use when cross-training. I usually just stick to those machines and see the gym class folks enter and leave the studio. I figured I would take him up on his offer and show up to class.

I showed up to a small group of maybe 5 or 6 people. The instructor immediately came over to me asking my goals and such. At first glance, I look like an out of shape athlete who could be a hazard to the class, but really, I promise I am not! I told her that I was training for the Boston Marathon and her demeanor changed. She excitedly told me how she had run it a handful of times and how much fun it is. We swapped training stories and she approved of my approach and was happy to hear that I was running for Dana-Farber. People in the class were asking me about my running and for the first time, I was excited to tell them about it. I was no longer a sham, but an athlete!

The class ended up being a perfect compliment to my workout routine and I think I am going to make it a mainstay in my week with an hour or so on the arctrainer beforehand. If anything, all the weight lifting will get me in shape for going back to the pool for tri season. And the best part, they all gave me a round of applause at the end of the class for joining and for luck in training!

No comments:

Post a Comment