Monday, February 6, 2012

Racing the T

A few years ago, I invented a game to play called "Racing the T" in which I, as it sounds, race the T. It all started when I would go visit my friends who lived about 1.5 miles down the road. As us locals know, the T can be spotty due to traffic and often take 10-15 minutes to show up and then another 20-30 minutes to get me that 1.5 miles. In an effort to get some exercise in, I would start my walk and then hop on when the train/bus would get close. Often times I would be about 3/4 of the way there and thus just continue on to my journey.

As the marathon training keeps getting stronger and stronger, I find myself playing race the T way too often and not just with the T. The other day, I chose to walk 2 miles home from a friends as it was easier than waiting for the bus. Another day, I chose to walk a few short miles in order to avoid switching lines from red/green. I also find myself parking in the first spot I see and choosing to walk to do my errands. All in all, it is adding up to about 8-10 extra miles per week that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

While this entry sounds quite boring, the reality is I am trying to show how easily the little things add up. Those 8-10 miles hardly go noticed and yet I find myself more on time for things and happier when I get there. As the weather gets warmer for spring and summer, I do hope I can continue this trend and work towards bigger distances such as meeting people in Harvard Square for drinks or Back Bay for dinner. While these little miles won't equal a marathon, they add in exercise to my daily routine without feeling like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment