Thursday, February 2, 2012

Taking a break from it all

From the title it sounds like I am taking a break from running and yes, that is correct. Wednesday night I had an hour workout on my schedule. I woke up Wednesday morning and a quick glance around my house gave me the heebie jeebies; it was a disaster! I live in 800 square feet which is usually easy to maintain, but also easy to show chaos. Running has surprisingly become like a second job. I wake up, go to work, go to run or the gym, grab a quick dinner and am in bed. Lather rinse and repeat and you've got my life. Of course, being a girl about to turn 30, there is social stuff mixed in, but that is becoming more and more rare, reserved for weekends or nights with nothing going on.

After realizing the state of affairs my house was in, I knew I had to do something right away. Finishing work at 5ish, I made an effort to spend the next 4-5 hours cleaning my house. Laundry was done and then done some more while the fridge was cleaned out and dishes done. Add to that a good bathroom cleaning, so sorting the mail bin, putting away shoes upon shoes and making order of a counter covered in stuff and I was done. Luckily, it did not take the full 4 hours allotted, but enough time to show that I wasn't getting my workout in that day. At first I felt guilty, but then it dawned on me, running is more mental than physical. When my mental health was going nuts because I felt my house was a disaster, I for sure would have been a mess working out.

After having a clean house I realize it is important for me time. From now on, I plan to take one day a week (most likely my rest day) and use it to catch up on the little things that slip away.

No comments:

Post a Comment